Tuesday 30 March 2010

Two losses last weekend...

We played both Saturday and Sunday against two top 5 teams and it showed as we lost both games by a fair ammount. It's definitely frustrating as I believe we have a good enough team to compete in these games but lack of focus, practice time and dedication from some of the guys seems to hold us back from ever being a contender. I had 14pts 10rebs 1blk on saturday and 16pts 6rebs on sunday. That being said we have our final game of the season this Saturday against the 11th place team (that we've already beaten by 16 earlier in the season). Unfortunately there will be no playoffs for us, so April 3rd marks the end of the season. Hopefully we can get enough guys on the same page to win this final game and go out on a good note!

In other news outside of basketball... It's been crazy how time is flying by, I really don't remember March at all, BUT that was because I've been having a great time and staying busy with coaching, friends and bball.

I've recently finished the Shane Claiborne book I was reading called "Irresistible Revolution". Funny enough this is the first book I've read all the way through and finished within a month in FOREVER! But one of my goals while being out here was/is to read more and I'm already into my next book called "Blue like Jazz". The Claiborne book was recommended to me by both Coach Scott and John who had already read it. I loved it, it was an easy read and very interesting, I would recommend it to anyone as well. Throughout the book Shane discusses/shares some of his life experiences as he grows as a Christian and realizes that he's not "living" the Christian life to the fullest. He really focuses on what it means to be a Christian and live a "Christ like" life, by being servant-minded and having a servants heart. It really puts a lot of things into perspective about life and how blessed each one of us really is, even if we don't have a lot.. There's always someone out there that has less than you (whether its money or love or self respect..), or is in a worse situation than you are in... I'm looking forward to really diving into this "Blue like Jazz" book as well as many others!

We've also been watching a lot of basketball on the internet lately since it's "March Madness" (for those of you who might not know what that is, it's the time when the NCAA division 1 schools have their post season tournament which lasts all of March and into early April). So that's been fun times as well, just late nights if you want to catch all the games! With all the upsets and close games this year the tournament has been pretty crazy and needless to say my bracket is BUSTED haha.

So now with the season winding down I'll have some free time to start traveling around England and hopefully Europe. I'm looking into visiting my old college teammate Mats who's from Sweden and moved back after he graduated. I'm also thinking of possibly hitting Germany to visit a bball buddy, Luxembourg and anywhere else possible really. So that's something I'm going to be looking forward to :)

Since my time here in Coventry I have realized I've been "slacking" in certain areas of my life and my time out here with John and Scott (and others) has been eye opening and challenging for me thus far, but I am up for a challenge and bettering my physical and spiritual life!

This week so far has been fun! We spent last night over at Coach's house after our coaching sessions were done. We just did the usual relaxing, eating and sharing of stories as always. I always have so much fun over there without the TV ever being on (unless its one of Selah's videos of course haha). We just have such good and funny conversation that we end up talking all night, aside from playing with Selah to keep her happy :) I cherish having Scott as my Head Coach and being able to spend time with him and his lovely family. Plus he makes some DE-LISH chocolate chip cookies WOOOOO WOOOO! (watch out Margaret, he's got skills on the cookies...)

Today John and I both went to a primary school for their "inspiration week" where people of all occupations were invited to come in and talk to the classes about what they do, why they do it, what inspired them to chase that career, etc... It was fun to finally see myself in the position of the person doing the inspiring and not the little kid sitting in the classroom listening and wondering what I was going to be when I got older. My how time has flown by! The best part of it all was as the end when we would do some tricks with the ball we brought in as part of our occupation/job (I love that basketball is my occupation!), because no matter what John did with his dribbling tricks for the kids as soon as I spun the ball on my finger the whole crowd went "ooooooohhhhhhhhhh" hahahah. They think that is sooooo cool to be able to spin the ball on your finger (kids back home wouldn't be that impressed haha), crazy how bball is looked at so differently over here ...

Hope everyone is well and in good spirits! I miss you all very much and appreciate all of you following me on my journey. I love catching up with people on Skype and through emails, I will see you all soon! Life is good, God is great!

Until tomorrow...
"make it happen"

No comments:

Post a Comment